Q: Q: Gears slipping

After a few miles of driving or idling when the car gets warmed up, it won’t stay in, or go into gear. If I put it in neutral as I’m driving, turn the ignition off and back on again it goes back in gear for a little bit, then starts all over. Every time I restart the engine it works temporarily. I thought it may be the gasket, but cant figure out why restarting the engine would make it work again

Hi there. This can be caused by a problem with the valve body in the transmission or maybe the start of a serious engine failure. When you start the vehicle, it will cause the circuits to reset in the valve body which can cause it to start working fine again. But if there is too much clearance in the transmission, then that can cause it to start acting up again.

I usually drain the fluid from the transmission pan first and inspect it. If there is metal or a lot of clutch material in it then I replace the transmission. If the fluid is fine and clean, then I replace the valve body.

I would also check for codes first just to be sure that it is not an electrical issue. If you want to have this shifting problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why the transmission is not shifting right.

3. Q: Gears slipping