Q: fuel supply problem

Hello. I recently purchased a 2013 528i xdrive with 26k miles on it. Problems started quick. The car "died" on me with a message saying that the drive train is not able to provide full power and to see dealer. I was able to drive it altough only slowly. The dealer said it was a software issueand ran an update for three hours. Car worked fine for a day and then died again. This time engine turns over, car starts, stutters and dies. towed to dealer but they are closed for weekend. The message that came up said fuel supply issues and see dealer. What can be wrong with it?

A: Hi there. I’ve seen a similar situation wit...

Hi there. I’ve seen a similar situation with a BMW 528i Turbo that had about 35,000 miles if memory serves. The owner of the car had similar symptoms, as the vehicle’s engine would "die" after coming to a stop, (specifically after driving on the highway). A similar error message would display. We downloaded error codes and found that the issue was caused by a faulty air / fuel ratio sensor. The sensor was replaced and it solved the problem. However, the dealer may be correct in stating that it’s a software issue within the vehicle’s ECM.

Since the vehicle is most likely under warranty with the dealership still, I’d call them again to let them know exactly what happened and give them a first chance to repair the issue (as long as they will not be charging you). Otherwise, contact one of our local ASE certified mechanics and they can arrive to your home and try and diagnose the stalling problem. If it’s a software issue, that can only be fixed by the dealer unfortunately.