Q: Fuel Rail System Error Code

I'm getting a CHECK ENGINE light that is giving the error code P0087 which translates to the Fuel Rail System Failure. From my research online, it seems to point to the High Pressure Fuel Pump, but could there be other causes like a clogged fuel filter or any other fault in the fuel system? I get the feeling the dealer will just replace that $1100 part just because that's what the code says. The vehicle does have a loss of power when starting out and a hesitation when I step on the gas pedal. Is there anything I can do to test and troubleshoot the fuel system. Also is this something that a novice could replace? There seems to be a very wide price range in the part, so where should I go to get a good quality part? Obviously the MINI part is not good and could fail again. Thanks for the advice and help!

Considering that the code is related to a problem in the fuel system, you should leave it to the professionals to avoid personal injury. When fueling the car, check twice to make sure the fuel cap is fastened properly. Low fuel pressure from a clogged filter can hinder the performance of the pump and damage it in extreme cases. You may want to have a second technician inspect the loss of power and hesitation to get a second opinion on the car before following through with the repair. If you would like this checked, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose the cause of the Check Engine Light and assess the needed repairs.

3. Fuel Rail System Error Code