Faint buzzing sound when car is moving mitsubishi outland...

Q: Faint buzzing sound when car is moving

asked by on September 28, 2017

My car is making a faint buzzing sound from the dashboard area of the passenger side. The power steering fluid was low so I topped it off with the recommended fluid. That did not solve the issue. Now I’m not quite sure what the problem could be. The steering wheel is looser than usual but it still steers perfectly fine. It’s just not as tough as it was. Ive read a few things that it could be. Transmission, wheel bearing, power steering pump. What does it sound like to you? Is it dangerous to drive?

Hi Shaunacee. Thanks for sending in your question to us tonight. One thing I would check first is whether or not the sound stops or starts when your AC is turned on or off. If the noise is coming from the passenger side, it could be due to an obstructed AC condenser or other AC system component. It’s also possible that the indoor cabin filter is clogged and causing this sound. I would recommend turning the AC or vents off and seeing if the noise goes away - or if it’s louder (or doesn’t change). If the noise does not go away, you might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to help diagnose the source of the noise, so the right repairs can be made.