Q: Engine management light is on and not idling properly

On my honda civic 2001 1.6 vtec. My engine management light has come on and the car still drives completely normal only issue I am having is on idle it keeps on wanting to almost cut out and sounds very spluttery... Any idea what can be the cause of this and how can I go about testing what it can be.many thanks

This may be related to an improper air/fuel mixture which is often times caused by an idle air control valve that is dirty or not working properly. This is a unit that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected in the engine. When this is not working properly, this causes an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the engine causing a rough idle as you describe. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to test your car for this and repair your idle control valve if necessary.