Q: Defrost doesn't work

The heater works somewhat but the defrost doesn't work at all. When I turn the dial to defrost it sounds as if the air is just being dumped behind the glovebox. how difficult is it to remedy this?

The problem can be in a few locations. First, it can be the heater control head itself. If the cables are loose or detached, then the heater blend / diverter doors may not be moving fully to redirect air flow from vents to defroster,etc. The problem can also lie further into / under the dash. If a cable detached from the blend door itself, or if a blend door is loose or broken, then it may be necessary to remove the heater box and / or numerous dash components to access them for repair or replacement.

With the number of components that may have to be removed for diagnosis and / or repair of an inoperative defroster, it may be best to have a certified technician look into it to isolate the exact cause.