Q: Coolant is hot

After running my car engine in an idle ( or even running ) for 10 mins, I checked the coolant container, which I found as very hot i.e coolant is hot. That means, coolant is not getting cooled by radiator? Please clarify

The radiator and radiator reserve tank will heat up as the engine reaches normal operating temperature. If the temperature gauge on the instrument panel shows that the engine operating temperature is in the range of about 190 degrees to 220 degrees F, that is normal. You can also use an infrared thermometer and point it at the radiator. The temperature should be at the lower end of that range, or lower. As the hot coolant from the engine flows through the radiator, it will lose some heat and the temperature will drop but the radiator will still be really hot to the touch and will burn you. NEVER open the radiator cap until the engine is stone cold, otherwise you could be severely burned. If your engine operates above 220 degrees F, you can request an overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will investigate the situation. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Coolant is hot