Q: Check Engine Light is on. Car idles high when put in drive or reverse and engine stalls when too much gas is applied.

I have a 1997 nissan pathfinder with 200k miles and an automatic transmission. It will start now that i have replaced the Throttle position sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. Ever since I've had the new Throttle position sensor in, it will idle fine until I put it in drive or reverse then it will idle really high. How do I fix that? And the last thing, when I give my car too much gas it will stall. Or when you give it a decent amount of gas it will lose power and sputter then stall. I need this fixed asap. Help me please

Is there also a loud hissing or sucking noise and maybe a lean code stored in the engine control computer? The high idle sounds like there may be a problem with the idle air control valve or there may be a large vacuum leak on the vehicle. I see your note about the new fuel filter, but the fuel pressure should be checked to make sure the pump is functioning properly. A failing ignition distributor may also cause the vehicle to stall.

An experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your location to determine why the engine is idling at a higher rate than usual and suggest the necessary repairs.

• Check Engine Light is on. Car idles high when put in drive or reverse and engine stalls when too much gas is applied.