Q: Car turns on but turns off after foot is taken off the gas pedal. 1987 Honda Civic

I bought my car about 2 months ago, the day after I got it home the distributor broke. I replaced the distributor but didn't time it immediately because I didnt have a timing light yet. I drove it to town 2 times both times it ran fine except it backfired a little. When I went a week without driving it I came back and tried to start it on a day where it was 20 degrees and it starts but the only way I can keep it running is by pumping the gas. Without pumping the gas it stays on for like 30 seconds until it sputters and dies. I replaced the spark plugs today, that didn't fix the problem. It hasn't really warmed up since then but I'm just asking if you could suggest anything that it could be.

Engine is backfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - if I follow your symptom descriptions correctly, this timing has still not been checked/adjusted. This would be the first step to take. Also, backfiring (through the intake) is usually a sign of an air leak in the intake system. With the engine running, spraying a bit of starter fluid around possible leak points will help identify the leaking hose, joint or intake component (the idle will speed up if starter fluid is pulled into the intake). I recommend an engine stalling inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.