Q: My 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer started smoking and ticking and will not go above 20 mph.

Today I hit the hwy car started stalling around 30 mph, then I noticed engine making a ticking noise and smoke from back end. Made it home not going over 20mph. No smoke or jerking unless trying to excelerate

Hello. There are a lot of things that can cause this. Most of the time if you have a ticking noise with smoke then you need to check for a misfire. I would usually start by scanning the computer for codes to make sure that there are not any issues showing up in the computer. If not then I would do a compression test to see if there is an internal engine issue. I would suspect a valve train failure or possibly a bad catalytic converter. If you want to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where the ticking is coming from] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/engine-is-running-louder-than-normal-inspection

3. My 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer started smoking and ticking and will not go above 20 mph.