Q: Car shakes while in drive and stops.

asked by on December 18, 2015

Car vibrates when stopped in drive. Also, when car is going 60 mph it sounds like it is in third gear and when I take my foot off the gas it makes a weird sound. The car was in a crash and ran fine after having auto body work performed, but after picking the car up it has been shaking while in gear when stopped.

Based on your description it sounds to me like your have a bad motor or transmission mount. When one of these mounts go bad, it is no longer able to isolate the vibration of the engine from the body of your car. If it is bad enough it could cause the engine to move and cause a mis-adjustment of the shifter cable. This means that while your shifter inside the car says you are in drive, due to the excess movement of your engine and transmission, the transmission is actually in 3rd gear. Letting off the accelerator suddenly would cause the engine to shift in the engine bay which could cause the weird sound you are talking about. I would return to the body shop and explain the situation or contact your insurance company about the issue and they will work with the body shop to correct this issue.