Q: Car overheated and leaked fluid, topped off and now is fine. Was this just a fluke?

Car overheated and leaked all the antifreeze. Topped off the fluid the next day and is now running fine. Was this just a fluke or is there a bigger underling problem. Checked all hoses and they're good. Also felt the water running through the hoses so the pump works. Maybe the thermostat is going faulty?

Hello. There are several other issues that will cause the engine to overheat. You do want to look into the issue deeper. If you overheat it passed a certain point, or overheat it too often, you will do major damage to the engine. The thermostat can be faulty and not letting enough coolant flow through the system. This would cause a lack of heat transfer and the temperature would gradually rise. The water pump, although pumping some, may not be pumping the coolant through the system efficiently. These pumps can gradually die and may not be noticeable until it reaches a certain point. Make sure the coolant in the radiator and overflow tank and within acceptable levels. The engine temperature sensors can also fail, but these typically will cause an engine light to illuminate. With a closed system (no leaks), a working pump and thermostat, and a sound engine you should have no issues with overheating. Test the listed components and make the appropriate repairs.

• Car overheated and leaked fluid, topped off and now is fine. Was this just a fluke?