Q: Car is tring to start but wont

asked by on September 13, 2016

I was low on gas and was on my way to the gas station to put gas in her she was trying to cut off but I made it to the gas station and put gas in her. then left and went to a friends house and turned her off when I was ready to leave she would no start back up so I jumped her off with the cluch. I then went to the store and then back to my friends house and turned her off to see if she would start up on her on and she did so i came home and then turned her off and restarted her twice more . then later that day I had a friend as for a ride and she started up then as well but after taking my friend where they wanted to go on the way back she stalled out and would not start back at all so I had a fiend come and he put a quick charge on the battery and she started I got her home and now she will not start back up she is trying but not starting I put on a new fuel filter and batter. Could it be the fuel pump

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hello, thank you for asking about your 1992 Toyota Corolla. Yes, it is possible it is the fuel pump causing issues. Running the car low on gas, or even "empty", will tend to damage the fuel pump. Fuel in and around the pump actually cools the pump while it is operating and it is recommended that you do not run the pump dry. Generally, maintain at least a quarter tank of fuel. If you spray starter fluid in the intake and the car momentarily runs, that would get you in the general area of a "fuel system problem" that includes the fuel pump but also other critical fuel system components that could have failed as well. Try this test: have an assistant turn the key to the "on" (not start, just "on" such that all of the dash warning lights illuminate) position while you listen carefully as near as you can get to the fuel tank. You should hear the fuel pump (in the tank) turn on and "whirr" briefly (2-4 seconds) and then shut off as the fuel system pressurizes. If you hear nothing (other than the momentary click of electrical relays up front), you may have a failed fuel pump. If you want to have this checked by a certified mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your starting problem and replace the fuel pump if necessary. If you try to replace the pump on your own (after you get an accurate diagnosis), just remember gasoline is explosive and is a fire hazard. Fuel tank related repairs have to be performed with a high degree of caution. Let us know how we can assist you in getting you back on the road.