Q: Car has various different problems when starting

I bought my car used and the day after purchasing, it started having trouble starting. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries before it starts. These are the things it does at various times: 1. I try to start the car and it will turn over. 2. It starts and then dies right away. 3. It keeps trying to turn over and won’t start at all. But once it does start, it performs fine, with no problems. Through researching, I’m thinking the problem might be with the fuel system, either the relay or pump. Also, I read ppl responses and apparently it gets worse by stalling when you drive. What is your diagnosis of my car’s problem?

Hello. Most of the time, this is caused by a bad fuel pump. When the pump starts to fail on this car, it will not hold pressure when it is turned off. This causes the system to have the build pressure back up when starting, which will cause you to need to crank the engine excessively to start it. I typically test the fuel pressure to see if it is bleeding off when the vehicle sits. If it is, then the pump needs to be replaced. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to identify the cause of your starting issue and replace your fuel pump if necessary.