Q: Can't get high revs from engine. Seems choked

asked by on February 27, 2017

327, 200 4R, open exhaust, HEI. Engine suddenly won't rev high Rpms. Not driven yet. Work in progress. Getting gas and spark. Trying to get timing set exactly right but won't idle well enough to get it there. About to give up hope. Have replaced many parts so don't know where to go from here.

Depending on the HEI system you have you may have a weak coil or the carburetor is running out of fuel at the higher rpms. Use a spark tester to see if the coil is capable of sustaining the spark at the higher rpms without losing energy. If rpms are cutting out at an exact rpms then the most likely cause id the ignition coil. If the engine seems to bog down and then catches up then it may be loss of fuel pressure to the carburetor or enough flow from the tank.