Q: Can i remove oil pan from 05 CTS 2.8 without pulling motor ?

hear clunking, believe its a rod bearing, i need to drop the pan to see. Can i remove oil pan without pulling motor ?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The engine will need to at least be partially removed from the vehicle in order to remove the pan. You have to compensate for the oil pick up tube at the bottom of the pan. The Gasket is also an issue that will need to be removed and replaced if you are taking off the oil pan. Trying to get the old gasket to reseal will not be an easy task, and you risk a major oil leak. At the very least to remove the oil pan, you will have to disconnect the engine mounts and lift the engine partially out of the way. If you need more clearance, continue to remove the components holding the engine in. Remember to tag anything that is removed.