Camshaft position sensors control what part of engine p00...

Q: Camshaft position sensors control what part of engine

asked by on May 28, 2017

Got code poo16 can I just replace cam position sensors for fixdo I have to change the balance in engine

Changing the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) might solve your problem, but probably won’t. The P0016 code is saying that the CMP signal is there, but not at the right time. The Camshaft must be timed precisely to the crankshaft and the engine controller uses the Crank Position Sensor (CKP) and the CMP signals to evaluate that relationship. What the P0016 code is telling you is that the camshaft is out of time to the crank. In the case of the Mercedes, this can mean that there is a problem in the variable camshaft timing system. The system is operated hydraulically by engine oil, and it has a number of very small orifices that the oil must pass through. When the engine gets some age on it. the orifices may become clogged and the pieces don’t move as they should.The ECU detects that as an erroneous CMP signal. Before you start spending money on parts that you don’t need, I suggest you have this checked out by a professional. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting Your Mechaniic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your P0016 code and let you know what it is going to take to solve it.