Q: Brake pedal low

My car has been sitting for long periods and now my brake pedal is low. I have not lost any fluid and had no problems before when I was driving it.

Hi, thanks for writing in. If you have not lost any brake fluid, but your brake pedal is going low to the floor, the master cylinder is likely the issue. When the internal seals of the master cylinder fail, they allow internal leakage which prevents any pressure from building up in the system. Therefore, the brake pads will not be applied with as much if any force. I would recommend having the master cylinder inspected by a qualified professional to determine if the master cylinder is faulty. If the master cylinder is leaking internally, I would recommend having it replaced as soon as possible as this can cause a potential safety issue while driving the vehicle with a bad master cylinder. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect your brakes and master cylinder for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

3. Brake pedal low