Q: brake lights stay on when driving

my brake lights stay on when driving and my foot off the brake pedal. i changed out the brake lamp switch. did not fix problem. is there an adjustment to the brake lamp switch or is it something else?

Hello. If your brake lights are staying on, even after a new stop light switch has been installed then it may be possible that there is an issue elsewhere. It does not appear that this model of vehicle requires any sort of adjustment for the brake light switch, though some vehicles do. A common problem on these vehicles is a wiring issue to the BCM. The BCM, short for body control module, receives signal form the stoplight switch to send power to the brake lights. There are cases where the wiring running to the BCM rubs up against the chassis, fraying the wire and causing a short that keeps the brake lights on. This particular issue came up with enough Malibu vehicles that GM issued a TSB to address it. Testing the wiring and harness to the BCM could help determine what if there is a short or not. As wiring issues can sometimes be difficult to locate and diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what exactly is causing your brake lights to stay on.