Q: Automatic transmission - Why would shifter cable break? The car was transported from Florida to CT and was hardly driven.

Suddenly car wouldn't start. Mechanic said broken shifter cable. Car was just transported from Florida. He said in transport they may have removed it - like they do the battery. He said it doesn't break - usually someone pulls it off. Is that correct or can it break. As you can see not driven much over the years. Used at a vacation home for about 4 or 5 months of the year.

Some towing companies will remove the shifter cable to the transmission to prevent anyone from stealing the vehicle on the rig when the rig is parked overnight. This includes removing the battery cables as well. It is not likely to have a broken shifter cable unless the driver purposely broke the wire. Look around the transmission shifter lever and look at the wire. Look to see if the wire was removed or damaged. If the wire was removed, simply reinstall the wire and hook up the battery cables and test drive the car. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Automatic transmission - Why would shifter cable break? The car was transported from Florida to CT and was hardly driven.