Q: After battery replacement, car still won't start

asked by on June 14, 2016

Occasionally, before being able to drive, my car has to be jump-started. The battery was an old one, so I purchased a new one and installed it myself. So now the car surely has enough juice because all the seats, radio, and lights - all turn on. But the engine still won't run when I try starting my car. It makes a noise like it is Wanting to start, but it doesn’t. Like I said earlier, sometimes it will jump-start, but often it won't jump-start with cables. I'm thinking this might be the starter, alternator, catalytic converter, or fuel lines. I would like to do the work myself. What is your diagnosis of this problem?

Many different items can cause a vehicle not to start. Replacing the battery, especially if it was old, is a great place to start since this this is the cause in most cases. Since you have replaced the battery and the issue is intermittent, the most likely cases at this point would be a fuel pump, starter, battery cable, or ignition switch. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your starting issue and make the correct repairs.