Q: A violet fluid beneath my truck

While exiting 4-wheel drive the dash showed a wrench and "check 4-wheel drive" shut engine off 3 minutes later and found a large amount a violet colored fluid beneath engine .Ford shop says it needs a new water pump but I drove it about 200 miles without it overheating. I have not tried the 4-wheel drive

A: Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechani...

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. I would inspect around the water pump. I have never seen violet colored antifreeze so that's my first caution. If the water pump is leaking that much, you will see and smell it.

With the "check 4-wheel drive" coming on I would look towards the transmission/transfer case for leaks. Transmission fluid will be more of a dark red/maroon color. Also follow the transmission cooling lines and check for cracks, pin holes, and leaks at any joints.

It might be possible that, if your transmission cooling line is leaking internally and mixing with the antifreeze, it might make a color closer to what you are explaining. With that being said, the problem is with the cooling lines and not with the water pump.

If you would like to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the leak and follow through with repairs.