Q: My harmonic balancer is slipping

asked by on December 11, 2016

A slipping harmonic balancer how to fix myself.

Crankshaft Harmonic Balancer Replacement $136.73 - $902.93 Get a Quote

The Harmonic balancer has a steel center hub and outer ring that are bonded to a rubber ring that separates them. When the car is very old, the adhesive in the balancer dries up and the outer ring might start slipping. The only thing to do is to replace the entire harmonic balancer. The balancer can be accessed through the left wheel well once the wheel has been removed. The good news is that it can be changed without disturbing the timing belt. The bad news is that you will have a hard time getting that big center bolt off and on without some special tools. There is a factory tool designed to hold the crankshaft in position while you loosen and tighten the bolt and it’s nearly impossible to do without the tool. But if you can get your hands on the tool, the job is not especially difficult. It’s a good idea to plan on changing all the drive belts at the same time since they have to come off anyway.If you find you have trouble accessing the tools, you can contact Your Mechanic and they can send a technician to your home or office to replace your harmonic balancer right there on the spot

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr