A click is heard, lights flash, and engine shuts down lig...

Q: A click is heard, lights flash, and engine shuts down

asked by on September 08, 2016

I have been having to jump-start my car before driving it. Once I am in traffic or in the middle of the street, the engine will shut off. I feel that the problem is not totally the battery being drained since I can jump-start it. When I’m driving there is a click and then the lights flash, and then nothing. The engine is dead. The car will not even turn over - nothing. Can you tell me what is causing this so I can get it back in good performance?

Hello. The symptoms you are describing can be caused by a few different issues. The first thing I would check is to see if the battery is in good condition, properly charged, and able to pass a load test. I would then move on to checking the vehicle’s charging system. A faulty alternator can cause the exact symptoms that you are experiencing, and will eventually lead to the car stalling once the battery runs low enough. At that point, it may no longer have enough power to start the engine. A proper diagnosis by a certified technician from YourMechanic would be recommended in order to determine the exact reason for the stalling and no start conditions.