P0568 code definition
Cruise Control Set Signal Malfunction
What the P0568 code means
P0568 is an OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) or body control module (BCM) identified a voltage signal for more than 90 seconds in the cruise control on/off switch or the set coast switch depending on the vehicle design.
What causes the P0568 code?
The cruise control switch circuit is shorted to power, and is sending voltage to the BCM or ECM constantly when the key is on.
What are the symptoms of the P0568 code?
- The Check Engine Light will not be illuminated but the code is set in ECM and/or BCM memory.
- The cruise control will be disabled from operating.
- The cruise control will not work.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0568 code?
Scans codes and documents the code in the ECM and BCM, clears and verifies the code
Monitors the cruise control switch input to see if it can turn off and on
Checks the cruise control switch for a shorted switch or wiring circuit short to the ECM or BCM
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0568 code
Not checking the cruise control on/off switch on the dash for shorts before replacing the cruise control switches on the steering wheel
Not checking the clock spring for a short before replacing the steering wheel switches
How serious is the P0568 code?
- Code P0568 will only cause the cruise control to be disabled and will not cause any drive symptoms and this code will not turn on the Check Engine Light.
What repairs can fix the P0568 code?
- Replacing the cruise control on off switch on the dash
- Replacing the cruise set switches on the steering wheel
- Repairing shorted wiring or replacing the steering clock spring if it is shorted
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0568 code
Code P0568 will not turn on the check engine light but will set a code in memory. The only indication of the code is when the system is tested for any reason or for the cruise control not working.
Need help with a P0568 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.