How to Transfer a Car Title in North Dakota

In the state of North Dakota, vehicle ownership is shown with the car title. This document proves that you are the owner, and not someone else. When ownership changes through sales, gifting or inheriting a car, the title has to be transferred to the new owner. While the process required to transfer a car title in North Dakota isn’t that involved, there are several things that you’ll need to know.

What buyers should know

For buyers, the title transfer process is relatively simple. However, it does hinge on the seller completing all the documents correctly. Here’s what you should do:

  • Make sure that the title has been completely filled out by the seller, including the odometer disclosure portion. Vehicles exempt from this include any vehicle more than 10 years old, vehicles over 16,000 pounds, and ATVs/snowmobiles.

  • Complete the Application for Certificate of Title and Registration of a Vehicle.

  • Complete the Damage/Salvage Disclosure Statement for cars 9 years old or less.

  • Have proof of insurance.

  • Get a lien release from the seller.

  • Have a valid driver’s license.

  • Bring all of this information to the DOT office, along with the $5 title transfer fee and the money for the registration fee.

Common mistakes

  • Not getting a lien release

What sellers should know

As the seller, it is your responsibility to complete the information on the back of the title, but you also have other responsibilities here.

  • Complete the fields on the back of the title accurately. Unless the vehicle is exempt, this includes the odometer reading.

  • Complete and give the buyer a Damage/Salvage Disclosure Statement (applies to all vehicles under 9 years of age, including cars, trucks and motorcycles).

  • Give the buyer a lien release.

Common mistakes

  • Not giving the buyer a lien release

  • Not completing the title accurately

What to know about gifting and inheriting a car in North Dakota

The process required for gifting a car is identical to what’s outlined above. The title transfer fee and registration costs will need to be paid by the recipient. This applies to vehicle donations, as well.

For inherited vehicles, the process is similar, but there are a few key differences:

  • The deceased’s representative must complete the title as the seller.

  • A copy of the papers must be provided.

For more information about how to transfer a car title in North Dakota, visit the state’s DOT website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Transfer a Car Title in Pennsylvania
Like Like other states in the nation, Pennsylvania requires that most vehicles have a title and that the title be in the name of the owner. When ownership changes, the title must be transferred to the new owner. Changes might...
How to Transfer a Car Title in South Carolina
In In the state of South Carolina, a car title denotes ownership of a specific vehicle. When that ownership changes, because a vehicle is bought, sold, given as a gift or inherited, the title must be transferred to the new...
How to Buy a Personalized License Plate in North Dakota
One One of the most popular ways to add customization and personality to a vehicle is by adding a personalized license plate. A personalized license plate allows you to make your car unique and lets you stand out from the...

Related questions

Engine overheats.
Overheating can do extensive damage to your engine. If your vehicle is overheating, you want to get it fixed as soon as possible. There are many issues that can cause overheating; from a stuck closed thermostat to a blown head...
Recieved the signed title but no bill of sale after purchasing a car
no charge for this answer: If the seller has signed over the vehicle to you, by conveying the ORIGINAL title (that is by signing the title over to you) you should not need additional "proof" of sale. The "conveyed" title...
Hi when I drive my truck for a while and stop at the store or something and restart my truck it reads hotter than it should
Hi there. In general, worn out coolant tubes, or a radiator with worn out radiator coils and fins are the root sources of an engine that is running hotter than it should. This problem can also be caused by a...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·