$125.02 - $443.96
There are several important documents pertaining to your car – the insurance information, for instance. However, there’s nothing more important than the title. This certificate proves that you have ownership of the car, and it’s needed to register the car in Delaware, or when you move to another state. It will also be needed if you decide to sell or trade in the car.
The problem is that titles aren’t particularly durable. They’re paper certificates, and it’s easy to mar them. You might even lose your title, or have it stolen. In these instances, you’ll need to get a duplicate title from the state of Delaware. Doing so isn’t particularly complicated, but there are several things you’ll need to know.
First, there are two ways you can apply for a duplicate title in Delaware. You can apply through the mail, or you can go to the DMV in person. Conversely to what you might think, going in person is actually the easier of the two. In both instances, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Complete Form MV 213 (Application for Duplicate Title).
- All owners must sign the form
- Each owner’s driver’s license number must appear on the form.
- All owners must appear at the DMV if going in person. If one or more cannot, a limited power of attorney will need to be completed.
- You will need to pay $50 for the duplicate title. Note that if there is a lienholder and a lien release is needed, the fee is $55.
- You’ll need to include an odometer disclosure statement. This is a binding statement that says you guarantee that the odometer reading on the car is accurate.
- The paperwork must include the car’s VIN.
- You need to include the tag ad expiration date of the registration on the form.
To apply for a duplicate title in person:
- Take all the information mentioned above to your local DMV office. Again, if all owners cannot be present, each absent owner will need to have a limited power of attorney signed.
To apply by mail:
- Send all the information mentioned previously to the DMV office at the address below:
State of Delaware
Division of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 698
Dover, DE 19903
- You will also need to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope, as well as a copy of your driver’s license.
For more information, see the Delaware DMV website.
Schedule Brake Pad Replacement
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Brake Pad Replacement. Yourmechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7 days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 10k cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORESEE PRICING & SCHEDULING