Q: Wipers can’t keep up with the weather

I recently bought a 2013 Kia Soul and have put around 12,000 miles on it so far. I went through the normal process of winterizing my car last fall, as the area I live in gets a lot of snowfall. I also like going up to the mountains when it snows. I added higher quality windshield fluid, windshield wipers and tires to prepare for this but even with wiper blades that were built to work in snow, the wipers were very weak. Is there a way to upgrade the motor for these? I don’t know what to do and winter is coming up soon.

The windshield wiper motors on the Kia Soul are not strong enough to remove heavy snow from the windshield. Unfortunately, there are no fixes for this problem as of yet. There have been some complaints to the National Highway Safety Administration that after the window is cleaned and vehicle has been driven, snow on the roof can slide onto the windshields and block your view. The wipers are not strong enough to clear the snow, so you have to stop and manually clear the window. The manufacturer has not acknowledged the problem. There doesn’t seem to be any aftermarket motors, which may be stronger, available for purchase either. I can only recommend cleaning and keeping as much snow off of the car before driving as possible. Setting maximum heat to the window to keep it warm can also help with loosening any snow. Avoid driving in heavy snowfalls.

3. Wipers can’t keep up with the weather