Q: when I park on a hill and put it in reverse it cuts off and now cuts off while driving .. no warnings, no check engine light is on

asked by on March 21, 2018

My car recently started acting up and I haven’t had it for a month. When I park on a hill and shift it into Reverse, it cuts off. Wasn’t doing that before.. and now when I’m driving it shuts off without any warnings or signs.. no check engine light comes on. The car rides great. Can you tell me what could be causing this issue?

Stalling when the car is put in gear could be due to a faulty MAP sensor but there are other causes. If the engine is stalling randomly while driving, the possible causes are a fault in the electrical system such as looseness of a key fuse in the fuse box, faulty mass airflow sensor, faulty camshaft or crankshaft position sensors, worn spark plugs, wires or defective ignition coil(s), inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (clogged fuel filter, injectors, faulty fuel pump or pump circuit), defective throttle position sensor, faulty idle air control valve, leaks in the EGR system, intake vacuum leaks, and so forth. If you request an engine stalling diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.