Q: What’s the difference between the Low Tire Pressure light and the TPMS light?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What’s the difference between the Low Tire Pressure light and the TPMS light?

Your car is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that is designed to keep tabs on the air pressure in each tire. When the system notices a tire is low, it automatically turns on the Low Tire Pressure light on your dash (it looks like a tire with an exclamation point in it). This light will stay on until you check the tires and adjust the pressure.

The TPMS light, on the other hand, is designed to come on when there is a problem with the monitoring system itself. For example, if a sensor in a wheel fails, the TPMS light will come on and stay on until the problem has been corrected.

Tip

The TPMS system doesn’t take the place of maintenance. You should still manually check your tire pressure at least once per month even if the light is not on.