Q: What precautions should be followed regarding the seat belts?

What precautions should be followed regarding the seat belts?

A: While your seat belts aren’t the most compl...

While your seat belts aren’t the most complicated equipment in the vehicle, there are some precautions that should be followed to ensure that they’re being used correctly and that you and your passengers are as safe as possible. Here’s what you need to know:

• Never share a seat belt with anyone. One person to a belt is the rule.

• Everyone in the car should be buckled up at all times if the vehicle is in motion.

• Always make sure that the belt is situated properly (lap belt over the hips, shoulder belt over the shoulder).

• Never put the shoulder belt under your arm or in any position other than over your shoulder.

• Never let children play with the seat belts.

• Keep the seatback as upright as possible for comfort. Never recline it fully if the car is in motion as you may slide under the belt in an accident.

• Never try to modify your seat belt system, repair it or replace belts on your own.

• Replace your seat belts and other associated components if you’re in an accident.

• Make sure to inspect your seat belts and buckles for damage, cuts, tears, or fraying. Never use a damaged seat belt.