Q: Transmission issue, Overdrive light is on 2005 F150 4.6l.

asked by on February 15, 2017

The tranny is acting up on my 2005 f150 4.6l. I turned a corner and when i went to give it gas and go it was just revving up like it was in neutral and the overdrive light on my dash started flashing. The tranny has never gave me issues prior to that happening. Please help!

Hello. We will be happy to help you.A flashing overdrive light means that the transmission is going into limp mode. Limp mode is a safe mode where the transmission will try to protect itself by limiting RPMS and acceleration. The overdrive light is like a check in the light for a transmission. You should have your transmission control module scanned by a transmission shop or capable technician such as one we would have here at YourMechanic. The issue you are having could be electrical such as a solenoid pack or there could be internal transmission issues which need to be addressed such as a bad torque converter.

The most common cause of transmission malfunction is low or contaminated transmission fluid. You can find a guide on checking the transmission fluid here. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-check-and-add-fluid-to-an-automatic-transmission