The Check Battery Light will come on and the car will los...

Q: The Check Battery Light will come on and the car will lose power. Sometimes the power steering will stop working as well.

asked by on October 26, 2016

While driving or idling, the check battery light will come on and the car will lose power. It has not done this during speeds of 40 mph or higher. It runs a little rough as well

Hi there, thanks for writing in. In several instances, when the Check Battery Light comes on before the engine died, then it’s probably the alternator. If your engine died before the Battery Light illuminated, then you may have had a crankshaft sensor failure, causing the engine to stall. Either way, the best way to know for sure is to have one of our local professional mechanics come to your home to complete a battery light inspection. They’ll be able to make the necessary repairs as well. Best of luck.