Q: Replacing the rear brakes.

My rear brake lining is 3mm. My dealer is saying he will replace the rear brake pads and resurface the rear brake rotors for $300. How important is resurfacing the rear brake rotors?

Regardless of what type of vehicle you drive, I personally would not recommend resurfacing the rotors at all. If the condition of the rotors pass a visual inspection and the thickness is still within manufacturers specifications, combined with how the brakes currently feel. If you do not experience vibrations or shaking in your steering wheel or brake pedal while braking, replace the pads only and do not resurface the rotors. This would be a more cost effective solution, however you may experience brake noises and pedal vibrations in the future. You also need to take into consideration the type of person driving the vehicle, and the environment they drive in, as these factors have a huge impact on brakes.

Resurfacing rotors removes material from the rotor. This allows the rotors to heat up quicker under harsh braking conditions and this can create uneven wear on the rotors and brake pads. I have experienced this happening more frequently when I worked in an independent shop.

A proper and peace of mind brake job would be to replaced the rotors as well as the pads by a certified mechanic. You will be worry free knowing your brakes are going to last the test of time.