Q: Oil on electrodes of spark plugs and cylinders

asked by on August 23, 2016

My car will not start and it has oil on the electrodes of the spark plugs and also in the cylinders. I have also been told that the cylinders have gas in them. Plus, my car has either bad valves or bad rings. If I hold the gas pedal to the floor, then it will engage and gets up to 1000 RPM, but then dies. I have to first bump the ignition a few times before trying to start my car. If I properly count, then it tries to start again with the same results. I’m thinking that my car might also have a bad timing belt, along with the fuel/air starvation. Would you please give me your diagnosis and what I need to do for my car to have proper performance.

Oil is leaking into spark plug well Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

First, visible amounts of oil on the spark plug electrode is never a good sign. To me, if the vehicle starts and struggles to run, there may be a major mechanical malfunction regarding your explanations. Have the mechanical timing checked to see if the timing belt drive system has failed. In some cases, a compression test is necessary. Inspect the ignition system for a good strong spark and fuel delivery as well. All of these must be in good order for the vehicle to run. If you would like to have this checked for leaks, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to have this looked at and addressed accordingly.