Q: Oil loss, can't find a leak, smoke coming from tail pipe and checked coolant this morning was foamy and a different color.

Ok I have a 1990 chevy silverado with a 5.7 in it I recently purchased. It cranks and runs but it's burning at least 3 quarts of oil every time it's driven. I don't have any external leaks at all. I'm not sure if it's the head gaskets. I recently started loosing coolant also but this morning it was foam in radiator and overflow. Also the radiator fluid a different color now?? So is it the intake manifold gasket and head gasket?? Would you recommend getting a whole new motor?

A: Hello there, there are a few causes for thi...

Hello there, there are a few causes for this type of issue. The vehicle should not be driven or started until repairs have been performed. A fault is causing the engine oil and coolant to mix together. When this happens, the oil can't lubricate the engine properly and damage can ensure if the vehicle is driven. The coolant when mixed with oil becomes brownish and can become chunky, which stops flow and overheats the engine causing further damage. The two most common faults that cause oil and coolant mixture are the head gasket and the intake manifold. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the oil leak and perform any repairs required.