Q: my question is can a rear main seal leak spray oil up into the engine compartment on top of the valve cover area on passenger sid?

asked by on June 21, 2016

my question is can a rear main seal leak spray oil up into the engine compartment on top of the valve cover area?

It may be possible since the oil can run down the oil pan and then get into the belts and slug up the passenger side of the motor. This is not as likely as the front of the engine crankshaft front seal area leaking and doing the same thing. In order to locate such a massive oil leak and isolate it, the engine will have to be cleaned off and a dye put in the oil. The engine would then need to be ran until the leak is identified with a black light leak detector. You could also have more than one leak in your engine. Have the PCV valve checked to make sure it is not plugged so pressure is built up in the crankcase and pushing oil out all the seals. If you want to have this checked for you, a technician from YourMechanic can diagnose your oil leak and determine what fixes will resolve your issue.