Q: I'm curious how long the vacuum pump replacement will take on my VW Beetle

asked by on May 22, 2017

I'm curious how long the vacuum pump replacement will take on my 2012 VW Beetle. I was told by the VW dealership that the engine has to be removed to replace the brake pump. So, I am concerned if this is true, that it will take more than a day and/or won't be possible to complete outside of a mechanic shop. Can you clarify the process and expected length of service? Additionally, will the part be replaced with the same type (model/brand/etc.) vacuum pump that is already present in the car? I have researched that they have two different versions of this pump available where one leaks less than the other due to a difference in one of the gaskets. Any and all information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Brake Vacuum Pump Replacement $101.36 - $1049.69 Get a Quote

I will not get into the "misinformation" aspect but the engine most certainly does not have to be removed to replace the vacuum pump in a Beetle or any other VW product with the same 2.5 ltr 5 cylinder. We have a 2.5ltr equipped VW in the family and the pump was replaced last year. While the repair manual may say that the transmission has to be separated from the engine in order to access all of the vacuum pump mounting points, there are other methods to replace the pump that should not take more than a few hours - without removing the transmission. The typical failure point is the seal which causes the oil leak. The seal on the replacement pumps has been redesigned over the years in order to reduce the chance of future leaks.