Q: I'm buying my first car and I have a choice of a 2001 Chevy Malibu no issues clean title with 150k miles for $1450 or I Have a 200

asked by on March 25, 2017

I'm buying my first car and need to know what the best decision is as far as how lol no the car will last how much it costs to fix up how long the miles will go. It's between a 2001 Chevy Malibu $1450 150k miles or a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero 152k miles $1200

The two cars you are referring to are so mechanically similar that there is no meaningful distinction, going forward, as to cost of repair or expected remaining service life. Rather, the costs you may experience will depend on the as found, actual mechanical condition of the vehicles including the amount of rust and corrosion on the brake and fuel lines, as well as the body and suspension. Used car repair, maintenance, and restoration costs are highly dependent on the actual, as found, condition of the vehicle and thus the only way to get a reasonably precise estimate of costs you might face, and also to protect yourself in the transaction, is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you the exact data that you need to make a fully informed, intelligent decision and minimize your risk in buying a used car. If you look at the just cited link for YourMechanic’s inspection service, you will see a long list of the vehicle systems that must be inspected as well as details of YourMechanic’s inspection methodology. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr