Q: How Do Spark Plugs Work in an Engine?

How do spark plugs work in an engine?

Spark plugs are used to ignite the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chambers of every internal combustion engine.

To accomplish this, spark plugs have two electrodes between which a high voltage spark will jump. One electrode is located in the center of the plug and one electrode is attached to the side of the plug.

The high voltage comes from an ignition coil and contains anywhere from 5,000 volts to 40,000 volts. The high voltage is necessary to overcome the air turbulence, compression pressure, and the air gap of the spark plug during the combustion cycle. The spark jumps from one electrode to the other. This spark ignites the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. The combustion continues until all the fuel has been converted into heat and increased cylinder pressure. This is what creates the power inside of an engine.

Each spark plug fires one time for every two revolutions of the engine crankshaft.

If your vehicle is down on power or is getting less fuel economy, a fresh set of spark plugs may be in order. If you need help with this, schedule a visit with a certified technician who can check out the situation and replace your spark plugs if necessary.

3. How Do Spark Plugs Work in an Engine?