Q: Front doors jammed shut, not from an accident

The doors on my 2011 Kia Sorento do not open. The front doors do most of the time, but the back doors no longer open from the outside. I got a quote to fix them and it was just insane. I've had to load the kids into the car like it's a two door vehicle. This is a dumb problem to have! This car has 61,000 miles on it, way too new for stuff like this! What can I do about this?

Hello!

Doors that don’t open from the outside can be a huge inconvenience and, from the research I have done, there seems to be quite a few complaints about this.

The door handles are made from plastic that tends to break as it ages and is affected by temperature. The plastic becomes too thin and breaks easily, not allowing the door to open. The only way to solve this problem is to replace the rear outside door handles.

If you would like the door handles to match your vehicle they would have to be ordered through Kia. There are less expensive aftermarket options but they typically come in black plastic so they would need to be painted to match your vehicle.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can replace door handles and make sure they are properly installed.