Q: Do you recommend the Toyota Avalon?

We will be purchasing a new car, or at least a used one in the next year. I wonder if you recommend the Toyota Avalon as far as being a good choice for maintenance costs. Any particular year?

"Consumer Reports" (CR) publishes system-by-system vehicle reliability data for all Avalon model years. Since at least 2009, the Avalon’s overall reliability rating has been very high. The CR complied data on the Avalon is extensive and covers differences from year to year in the number and type of recalls, technical service bulletins, and known problems with the vehicle. The information published by CR is too extensive to even summarize here and inasmuch as the vehicle analysis and data are available free in the library you should simply consult the relevant CR publications. In my judgment, the Avalon is a perfectly good choice but if you go through the year by year CR reliability data, from 2009 to date, that will give you an excellent indication of the relative likelihood that key systems on the model year of interest to you will fail. Another outstanding resource for used car buyers is the vehicle complaint and safety database maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you input the model year(s) of the Avalon that you are interested in, you will find all of the official recalls, investigations, factory technical service bulletins and complaints for each model year of the Avalon. I encourage you to go to the NHTSA website and enter the model year(s) of the Avalon that you are interested in and review the existing reports. The reports in the NHTSA database will give you an excellent idea of what has been experienced by other owners insofar as faults in the particular Avalon model years that you are interested in.

A good way to protect yourself in a used car transaction is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection of the specific vehicle you want to purchase, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you very specific data regarding any current problems that the car has. If you are unable to access any of the resources that I have referred to, or desire data of a different type, please do not hesitate for a moment to re-contact YourMechanic and we will assist you further in your attempts to make a wise used vehicle purchase.

3. Do you recommend the Toyota Avalon?