Q: Do I have to break in my new vehicle?

Do I have to break in my new vehicle?

If you’ve recently purchased a vehicle, you’re in luck. This vehicle doesn’t require any elaborate or tedious “breaking in” activities. However, your new vehicle will last longer and run more efficiently if you follow these guidelines when you first begin driving your car.

• For the first 500 miles or so of driving your new vehicle, keep your speed at or under approximately 55mph.

• For the first 500 miles or so, do not drive at a constant speed, whether it be relatively fast or slow. Additionally, avoid making full-throttle starts and downshifting to slow the vehicle.

• For the first 200 miles or so, avoid making harsh or quick stops. Your brake linings are new, and need to be broken in. Braking hastily in the first 200 miles of driving your car can cause premature wear and tear on your brakes, resulting in the need for an earlier replacement down the line.

• Do not tow or attach any sort of trailer during this ‘break-in’ period.

3. Do I have to break in my new vehicle?