Q: Delay in braking, computer doesn't recognize the brakes. 2011 Nissan Leaf

My car has a low mileage of about 45,000 miles. It has problems with the brakes. I went to the dealership due to this issue but they weren't able to find out what is wrong and fix it. When I drive and apply the brake, there is a bit of sliding to it and a delay in braking that last for about half a second. The computer doesn't seem to recognize that the brakes are applied and can't be started. I'm not sure what to do as this is a safety concern and they are stumped at the dealership. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

A: Hello there, this is a very unusual issue w...

Hello there, this is a very unusual issue with the 2011 Nissan Leaf. The Leaf uses electronically controlled hydraulic brakes. What this means is that the brake pedal, booster, and ABS is all electric. A few different faults could cause the brakes to not grip well. The most likely would be a failed booster, brake pads are low, glazed rotors, pedal sensor or brake fluid leak. This vehicle should not be driven until the brake fault has been resolved. I recommend having a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your braking system in order to have this correctly addressed.