Q: Cold idle problem with my car, looking for software update.

Took my car to a local mechanic to check on a cold start idle issue. The mechanic mentioned a service bulletin for a software update that might fix the problem. How much will it cost to get this fixed?

Software updates are fairly common today with modern vehicles. They can correct issues that the manufacturer did not foresee in testing. In general, programing does not take a lot of time. I would say that half an hour should be reasonable. The cost will vary based on the labor rate of the shop the programming is being performed in. Unfortunately, dealers are generally the only places that can do software updates, but that is starting to change. Access to the programing software is becoming much more widespread.