Q: Car makes click sound when I try to turn it on starter smokes and battery is not dead

My battery is not dead, my car will not turn over just keeps making a click sounds. There is smoke coming from my starter when I try to start it.

If smoke is emitting from the starter when you try to start the vehicle, this usually means that there is a short due to something that has melted internally. It is unwise to continue trying to start the car under these conditions as a fire may result. It is very likely that the starter motor has failed and will require replacement in order to resolve this issue. Consider YourMechanic as starters can be replaced from your home or office.

3. Car makes click sound when I try to turn it on starter smokes and battery is not dead