Q: Car independently accelerated to high speed into intersection

Before entering a main road coming from a parking lot area, I stopped at a stop sign. My car started independently accelerating to a high speed which caused my car to move toward the intersection. Fortunately no cars were approaching so I kept turning, but it was a very unsafe situation. This had happened before in town and also in my neighborhood. The conditions each time were the same: while beginning to accelerate my car would jump to a high gear or speed. It was on a high rev idle this morning and did not go down until I changed to manual and then back to automatic. What should I do to get my car back in good performing condition?

A: Hello. I would take your car back to the Vo...

Hello. I would take your car back to the Volvo dealer immediately to be checked out. This is very dangerous. Although this is not a common occurrence for this model, there are other similar reports, and Volvo may have a fix for this. You don’t mention the Check Engine light being illuminated, but the dealer should also check for any transient problem codes to potentially help determine what is causing this.