Q: Can it take time for power steering leak damage to show up in the rack and pinion?

We just had power steering pump replaced two months ago. Having issues again so I took it back in. Now they're saying the rack and pinion need to replaced because the power steering pump leak starved the components of the rack and pinion which caused them to break down and the damage can take time to show up. Is this true? Can it take time for the damage to show up?

Hello. Yes, this is possible. A bad pump or leak can starve other vital components in the steering system causing them to weaken. When this occurs it can take days, weeks, or even months for them to finally fail. I am sure they would have mentioned it before if it was evident then. If you want a second opinion, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your power steering fluid leak and determine what needs to be done.

3. Can it take time for power steering leak damage to show up in the rack and pinion?