Q: battery drains, clicking sound under fuse box and rear brake lights flashing disconnecting battery stops clicking and flashing bra

asked by on February 08, 2018

My wife came out and car would not start, battery dead. She hooked it up to charge it, there is a clicking sound under the fuse box on the drivers side and the rear break lights steadily flash quickly and the battery would not charge. I disconnected the battery for a few seconds and re-connected it and the clicking stopped and the flashing stopped. I could then charge the battery and it all re-started fine. This has happened a few times since we owned the vehicle. the dealership replaced the battery for us after 18 months (car is only 4 years old now). I don't think it is the battery; it appears something with the ABS must be messed up causing the rear brake lights to flash even while parked. No ABS lights are staying on. The traction light has come on in the past.

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Although depressing the brake pedal (and activating the switch controlling the brake light circuit) "potentially" leads to activation of the ABS system, it is not necessarily the case that an ABS malfunction would itself cause the brake light circuit to become powered. This can be confirmed by looking at the wiring diagram for the vehicle. If the battery is failing prematurely, the charging system should be tested and, as well, the possibility of parasitic power draw (even apart from this brake light issue) should be considered. To resolve the malfunctioning brake light issue, a circuit trace has to be performed during the malfunction to pinpoint where and how the circuit is being powered even as the brake light switch is in the off position. To get all of these issues resolved, the recommended service to request is an electrical component malfunction diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.