Q: Bad headlights, this should be avoidable

I have had the typical headlight issue with my 2010 Toyota Prius pop up and dealt with that already. Now, at 91,000 miles, I am noticing that the headlights don’t seem to illuminate much of the road in front of me. I don’t drive at night that often but when I do it just seems unsafe unless my high beams are on. Is this a normal thing or are the headlights defective again?

The headlights your car uses are high intensity display (HID) type bulbs. The HID bulb has a lifespan of approximately five years before they go bad. These bulbs will start to go bad becoming dimmer or blinking on and off. Toyota has extended the warranty coverage to 5 year/50,000 miles over the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for customer satisfaction reasons. However, you are over the 50,000 mile limit and would not be covered for this extension. The fix for your car is to replace the HID bulbs in both headlights. You can contact YourMechanic to replace them for you.

3. Bad headlights, this should be avoidable